Internships and Practicums
Library Careers Start Here
For more than a decade, Beaverton City Library has been a local leader in providing teaching internships and practicums for students. We can provide experience working directly with patrons, supervising teen volunteers, leading programs, and more. Volunteer internships are generally 10-12 weeks in length, with interns contributing 10-20 hours per week. We encourage library school, undergraduate, and high school students to apply.
While our internship and practicum opportunities are unpaid, the benefits are amazing. Intern and practicum students at Beaverton City Library, gain valuable professional skills, build their resume with meaningful work, earn a letter of recommendation - and have fun!
Alumni of our internship program have found employment at Beaverton City Library, Hillsboro Public Library, Tualatin Public Library, Cedar Mill Community Library, Multnomah County Library, West Linn Public Library, Ledding Library, Pendleton Public Library, Galesburg Public Library, Kingsport Public Library, and Beaverton School District.
Spring and Summer Internships
- All practicum and internship candidates are encouraged to apply for our spring and summer internship opportunities
- We are happy to work with school deadlines and parameters
- Successful candidates will have the option to select three additional learning opportunities within the division for which they are interning and/or another area of the library
Completing Your Practicum with the Library
We are committed to providing teaching opportunities for students interested in library work and have learning experiences in all divisions of the library. Please note that we may need to limit how many practicums and internships we host over the course of a year. Again, all practicum students are encouraged to apply for our spring and summer internship opportunities.
How to Apply
Students interested in completing an unpaid internship or practicum with Beaverton City Library should:
- Complete the internship practicum questionnaire
- Complete a Beaverton City Library volunteer application. Please note that this application portal is not supported by Windows XP. Hard copy applications are available by request.
- Send a cover letter, up-to-date resume and completed internship practicum questionnaire to the volunteer manager by email or by mail:
Beaverton City Library
Attn: Volunteer Manager
12375 SW 5th St
Beaverton, OR 97005