Summer Reading Volunteer Program
What is the Summer Reading Volunteer Program?
Summer is a busy time at the library and we need help supporting our Summer Reading program, which includes registering kids for Summer Reading, distributing prizes to kids who finish the program, preparing craft and program materials, supporting library events, and more.
- Summer Reading program volunteers need to fill one regular shift each week for eight weeks
- Most shifts are two hours in length
- The eight weeks are typically the second Saturday in June through the second Wednesday in August
- Individual schedules are determined by supervisor availability, library needs, and volunteer availability
- Summer Reading program volunteers need to commit to having no more than two absences during the eight weeks
- While other volunteer opportunities exist during the summer, we expect those positions to be filled by volunteers who can commit to a regular schedule for at least three full months.
Who Can Participate?
- Typically, we accept community members who are 14 years of age and older to the volunteer program. During the summer, we make an exception and welcome community members who are 12 years old (by April 1 of the current year) and 13 years old to apply for a Summer Reading program volunteer position.
- Interested community members must submit a completed volunteer application by April 1 to be considered for the upcoming summer.
- Applications are reviewed in April. If an applicant passes an application review, we will call to schedule an interview in April.
- Successful applicants need to attend one training session before the second Saturday in June. Summer training sessions are hosted at the main library. Volunteers who will be helping at the Murray Scholls branch need to attend this one-time training at the main library.
- Priority is given to returning volunteers who have a good attendance record. Volunteers interested in returning to the summer program should contact the volunteer manager by April 1.
How Do I Apply?
- Applications for the upcoming summer are accepted through April 1. Applications received after this deadline may not be considered for the Summer Reading volunteer program, as we receive more applications than we have placements.
- Complete an online volunteer application. Please note that this application portal is not supported by Windows XP. Hard copy applications are available by request. Completed applications should be returned to the service desk at either library location or mailed to:
Beaverton City Library
12375 SW 5th St
Beaverton, OR 97005