Summer Reading Volunteer Program
What is the Summer Reading Volunteer Program?
Summers are a busy time at the library and we need help supporting our Summer Reading Program which includes registering kids for the Summer Reading Program, distributing prizes to kids who finish the program, preparing craft and program materials, supporting library events and more.
- Summer Reading Program Volunteers will need to fill one regular shift each week for 8 weeks.
- Most shifts are two hours in length.
- The 8 weeks are typically the second Saturday in June through the second Wednesday in August.
- Individual schedules will be determined by supervisor availability, library needs and your availability.
- Summer Reading Program Volunteers will need to commit to having no more than 2 absences during the 8 weeks.
- While other volunteer opportunities exist during summer, we expect those other positions to be filled by volunteers who can commit to a regular schedule for at least 3 full months.
Who Can Participate?
- Typically, we accept community members who are 14 years of age and older to the Volunteer Program. During summer, we make an exception and welcome community members who are 12 years old by April 1st of the current year and 13 years old to apply for a Summer Reading Program Volunteer position.
- Interested community members must submit a completed Volunteer Application by April 1 to be considered for the upcoming summer.
- Applications will be reviewed in April. If an applicant passes an application review, we will call to schedule an interview in April.
- Successful applicants will need to attend one training session before the second Saturday in June. Summer training sessions are hosted at the Main Library. Volunteers who will be helping at the Murray Scholls location will need to attend this one-time training at the Main Library.
- Priority is given to returning volunteers who have a good attendance record. Volunteers interested in returning to the summer program should contact the Volunteer Program by April 1st.
How Do I Apply?
- Applications for the upcoming summer will be accepted through April 1. Applications received after this deadline may not be considered for the Summer Reading Volunteer Program as we receive more applications than we have placements.
- Please complete an online Volunteer Application. Please note that this application portal is not supported by Windows XP. Hard copy applications are available by request and can be returned to one of our service desks at either Beaverton City Library location or mail to:
Beaverton City Library
12375 SW Fifth Street
Beaverton, OR 97005